Scale bar = 100μm

Spongy Bone

Cancellous bone is also called trabecular bone, or spongy bone. This bone tissue is usually found at the end of long bones and inside the bones of the vertebrae. The trabeculae (truh-bek u-lee; little beams) are the small needlelike pieces of bone. Between the trabeculae are spaces filled with red or yellow bone marrow.