By Ioulia Bespalova
Illustrated by Ioulia Bespalova and Sabine Deviche
show/hide words to know
- Colony: a group of the same kind (species) of plants or animals living together... more
- Fungus: an organism that is part of the kingdom called fungi which includes yeasts, molds, and mushrooms. Fungi mainly feed on decaying organic matter... more
- Larva: the second, "worm-like" stage in the life cycle of insects that undergo complete metamorphosis (like caterpillars).
- Queen: a female ant that lays eggs.
- Superorganism: a group of organisms in which members depend on each other to complete tasks needed to live. Members are often highly specialized... more
Flashcard facts and information about ants
Biology Bits stories are a great way for you to learn about biology a little bit at a time. We’ve broken down information into pieces that are very tiny—bite-sized biology cards. Cutting out the cards will let you organize them however you want, or use them as flashcards while you read.
This set of bits will teach you about the tiny insects that can work together to accomplish big things: ants. To learn more about the science behind ants, visit Secrets of a Superorganism.
Play the slide show from the beginning or pick a slide to begin with by clicking on a slide below.
You can also download Biology Bits in the following formats:
|Print PDF||Slideshow PDF|