Quick Virtual Lab
show/hide words to know
- Axis: blah, blah... more
- Ectotherm: animals that control their body temperature using outside sources... more
- Graph: also known as chart and plot, is a visual tool drawn or made using a computer to show how two or more variables relate to each other. Examples are pie graphs, histograms and scatter graphs... more
- Mass: the property of matter that makes it hard to change motion.
Quick Virtual Lab
* To be completed with the quick virtual lab student handout found in the teacher resource packet.
Problem: How will temperature affect the growth of Manduca over time?
Generate your own hypothesis and predictions about what will happen.
Collect your data
- Start with the Manduca Grown at 20°C. Set the Day to 01 and click Apply.
- Record the mass (g) located at the top of the picture. Then click on the picture to magnify it. Then measure the length by clicking on one end of the Manduca caterpillar. Then, click on five points along the rest of the Manduca with the last point being the opposite end of the Manduca. Record the length in your data table.
- Repeat Step 2 for all the days by changing the day drop down menu to day 02, then 03, and so on until the last day in the drop down menu. Remember to click Apply after you change the day.
- Repeat steps 1 to 3 for the Manduca grown at 30°C.
Analyze your data
- Plot graphs of your data (length vs. days and mass vs. days) for both temperatures, using this link, your own Excel sheet, or graph paper.
- Use the analysis questions from your quick virtual lab student handout along with the information about temperature, Manduca, and animal growth on this website to help you interpret your data.
* Full featured virtual experiment supported by all browsers except Internet Explorer.
Manduca Grown at 20°C
Manduca 01 (Lab 20°C), Day 1
Mass in grams (g): 0.001661
Manduca Grown at 30°C
Manduca 01 (Lab 30°C), Day 1
Mass in grams (g): 0.002375